Re: [Harp-L] Elderly Instruments sale, Which Chromo?

This advice is my opinion...but I have bought over 100 Hering, Hohner, and Seydel 12-hole chromatic harmonicas for use in Hands-Free-Chromatics.

The sound of any reasonably well-made chromatic harmonica isn't going to be much different from any other. Therefore, you should buy on price, air-tightness, maintainability, and stability....not on claims of unique tone that are outrageously false.

Do not buy the obsolete old war horse......  Hohner Super Chromonica model 270.  Its reedplates are nailed on a wooden comb and it is very difficult to maintain.  Wood swells, shrinks, warps, cracks and peels.  The tone of a harmonica is not affected by the comb material so "wood sounds warm" is a myth.

The only Hohner I would buy from Elderly is a CX12 for $154 after the 20% discount. This is a very air tight harp and is preferred by many good players.  You would probably be happy with it. You can pop the covers off for quick access to the draw reeds and the windsavers on the blow reeds.  This is handy because these are the windsavers that most often need replacement.  Getting to the blow reeds and the windsavers on the draw reeds requires the removal of 12 screws.  Better than nails but not quite as handy as you may have been led to believe.

I recommend a Seydel Chromatic Deluxe for $140.  This is a nice, air-tight harp for the price.  Mine have always been well-tuned out of the box.
See http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/SE51480.html
It has a stable plastic comb with screwed-on reedplates so is easy to maintain.  No reeds last forever, but I have had good experiences with my Seydels.

Suzukis  may be OK but I have no personal experience with them so I'm not able to comment.

I hope this helps.

Vern