[Harp-L] Pitch shifter/Octave doubler samples

I wrote a day or so ago that I would post some samples of harmonica played through a pitch shifter (in this case a Digitech RP355), with the object being to determine how close the results are to a bari or bass harp.  I recorded a few samples last night, and they can be downloaded for listening at:
http://hunterharp.com/bari+bass_harp_sounds/

All samples were recorded using an Audix Fireball V mic and a Delta Frost diatonic in B (2nd position) straight into the mic input on a Zoom H4 recorder. No effects were added other than those generated by the Digitech RP355.

I've put several files up, as follows:

oct_down_99_percent.mp3: this is a low octave pitch shift, with the original sound removed entirely from the mix.  No amp modeling, no EQ.  My opinion is that this sounds pretty close to a baritone harp, although there is a certain occasional electronic flavor.

2_oct_down_99_percent.mp3: this is a low double octave pitch shift, with the original sound removed entirely from the mix.  No amp modeling, no EQ.  My opinion is that this sounds VERY much like a bass harmonica, although of course you can play licks with this setup that you would never be able to play on a bass harmonica.

oct_down+2_oct_down_56_percent.mp3: This starts with a low octave pitch shift, with the shifted tone representing 56 percent of the total output (i.e. there's plenty of original tone in the mix). Then it goes to a low double octave.  No amp modeling, no EQ.  You can hear how much more artificial this sounds.  It's still a cool sound, just nothing like a "real" harp.

bsman_amp_+oct_dn+2oct_dn+delay.mp3: this is the full monty: a bassman amp model, with EQ, a cabinet model, a low octave and double octave pitch shift, with the level of the pitch shifted tone set to about 45 percent, and a big slapback delay. It's absolutely an artificial sound, and it's got tons of attitude.  I am using this kind of sound all over the place in my new band Lightninrick.

I think all of these sounds are very cool and useful.  I leave it to others to decide whether the 99-percent pitch shifted stuff is close enough to the sound of a bari and/or bass harp to fill those roles in a band.  In my opinion, no electronic instrument ever sounds exactly like an acoustic instrument, and that's a good thing, because it expands the range of sounds available to us.

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick