Re: [Harp-L] Re: Stevie Wonder known as a harmonica player?

Warning: long post. Trash or read at your own risk.

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:07 AM, jazmaan wrote:

I think you may be a little too cynical Joe.

My heart tells me things, then my logic takes over. 27 years of investigations will do that for you. :) As you may or may not recall, every time I interjected anything into one of your posts over the years, I was always supportive of you, kind, and diplomatic. I consider you a genuine talent...even BEFORE I had met you. I wasn't disappointed. The little times I spent in your presence were exciting. I remember them with fondness.

Although Berry Gordy certainly wouldn't have been reluctant to hype Stevie as a genius just to make a few more bucks, don't you think it's also possible that he might have been totally blown away by the 12 year old?

Sure. I don't know Gordy nor have I ever met him, but I would say that Stevie walking in there was roughly analogous to me walking into Prudential and saying that I had a couple million to invest.

You can't say Berry didn't know musical talent when he saw it. He's the same man who signed Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson.

I know musical talent when I see it too. Problem is that there are a lot of people out there with marginal talent and doing fine while talented people languish. I think it has a lot to do with marketing. Take Wonder (for instance). Do you see an attempt here to make Steve look maybe a little more than he was (at the time)?. I mean, it's a play on words. No where in his TWO last names do I see the word Wonder. Ok, enough about that.
Btw, I happen to like Smokey, Marvin, and was sad when Michael died. If anything happened to Steve, I would be IMMENSELY sad. I can't say that about too many people.

Don't you (think) that the "Genius" label would have been disputed by all the other superlative talent at Motown if they didn't believe in it?

I can't answer for what others think, but I think that it was all a matter of opportunity. A baby boy is born blind. The family is devastated. What to do? Well, from what I know about blind children, you're supposed to watch over them and take care of them more than you would another child. I believe in my heart that his family did just that. They kept him warm, fed, safe, protected, nurtured, supported. Somewhere along the line maybe someone got the idea that musician was what Steve should aspire to. People like to make a big deal about musicians BUT it's one of the few jobs that a blind person can hold. Surely he wasn't cut out to be a watch maker.

Isn't it possible that the 12 year old Stevie might have already sung them snatches of the still nascent "Uptight", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", "I Was Made to Love Her" and convinced Holland, Dozier & Holland and everyone else at Motown that he was a boundless fountain of immeasurable talent?

Sure, I feel he IS an immense talent, BUT it was also a lot of work. He may be gifted but I don't think it came from heaven. For example, other kids are shooting hoops all day. Maybe they are thinking about a scholorship? Maybe they are the 1 in a million to get into the NBA. Meanwhile Steve is practicing. Ok, let's say that while other kids are playing ball, 'I' am spending my Sat shining shoes on the Staten Is. Ferry, and Sun I am down at the dump pulling copper and brass out of the discarded appliances for spending money. During the week, I deliver papers. Meanwhile Steve is practicing.

He's sitting on the front porch playing harmonica while other kids are doing other things. That's what I meant when I said "He had nothing else to do". I doubt that he ever had to hunt for a sandwich. The only person he had to worry about was himself. In fact, even HE didn't have to worry about himself. Someone did it for him. His wonderful family. Then, when the eagles started to fly, HE returned the loving care BACK.

I heard a rumor once that a blind person has enhances other senses. Maybe his hearing was enhanced? I don't know.

And what about the fact that Stevie wasn't copying anyone, not Toots, not Larry Adler, not ANYONE when he recorded "Fingertips," his first hit?

I agree. When I started playing, I never copied anyone either. I love and admire his playing and have never tried to copy it. Why not? Out of respect. I know that will ruffle feathers, but that's what it is. I actually admire him so much that I refrain from even trying to play like him.

I don't know Steve, and have never met him, but I have seen him around for these past 50 years or so. From what I can glean, he is a sweetheart of a guy without a malicious bone in his body. But wouldn't YOU be too? I mean, a blind man is hardly in a position to create enemies. Wouldn't be smart. Wouldn't be safe neither.

At 12 he's already created his own NEW conception of harmonica playing, he's doing it live, the audience is electrified, and now almost 50 years later, professional harp players like Randy Singer or Rob Papparozi are STILL influenced by what the 12 year old tossed off in that spontaneous reprise.

He had backing and support. He SHOULD have. It would have been a terrible waste if things hadn't happened the way they did. Thank God someone has the sense to push him.

Bird created his own conception of jazz. Jimi Hendrix created his own conception of guitar. Stevie created his own conception of chromatic harmonica. All three of them continue to influence later generations of sax, guitar and harmonica players.

So come on Joe, give it up for the 12 year old genius!

Ok, you want me to give it up. Let me confess. I started playing chromo at 12.5. Even though I am several years older than Steve, he was already playing. I practiced hard for several years. I was on my way. Or so I thought. I was even on a couple Italian records. I heard Steve play, and I gave up harmonica. I figured "What the hell..I can't compete with that". So now you have it all. My soul is out there for all to see.