RE: [Harp-L] Creativity Question

The Iceman wrote:
> Do you memorize solos and repeat them or do you improvise in the moment?
>
> If you memorize and repeat, are they your own creations or do you figure out another's solo and reproduce it? If so, how do you keep it sounding fresh?
>
> If you improvise in the moment, what is your mental/creative approach?

---My approach these days is a combination. I play in a group that plays some bop, some swing, some smooth jazz, and some blues. I'm a newcomer to jazz, so some of the tunes we play are quite challenging for me...for some of those tunes I sort of work out a kind of solo, though I may vary it...I'm just not an advanced enough jazz player yet to truly improvise over complex changes on the gig...on the smooth jazz, the blues and most of the swing tunes ["Sophisticated Lady" would be an exception...I've worked out something on that] I just let it out, whatever comes out is what I play.

---As for my mental/creative approach to improvisation: I practice my ass off, then on the gig I just play...try to concentrate as fully as I can...be "in the moment" I guess you could say.

WVa Bob