Re: [Harp-L] Fluxtone Speakers

Dan Dial writes:

"Can someone help me understand why I would pay big $$ for a Fluxtone
speaker instead of buying a $100 attenuator, that can be moved from amp to
amp,  from Weber? "

I respond:

Different technology, but it would have to be proven superior. I have a
Clark bassman with Micheal Clark's attenuator designed specifically for this
amp, I'm really pleased with it, with in a range. If you take it to the
extreme, tone starts getting thin, but I would never use this amp for such
low volume playing.  I'll hold off on the Flux-tones until they catch on.

I get the impression from what I've read that the flux-tone speakers may be
similar in function to the old field coil speakers that actually have
current running to them, (not just the ones with the output tranny mounted
to the frame) And that by regulating the current they can adjust the
effieciency  of the speaker.

I have one amp with this type of speaker, it's over 60 years old, but it is
quite different, it does seem to have a liveliness unlike anything else I've
played, but the amp is not up to snuff . It's a 10" jensen in an acient
Masco 'clamshell' PA. Someday, I intend to have Skip Simmons  restore the
amp and Neal's recone the speaker.  JD