Re: [Harp-L] Genius? LOL

I would say that's a given. I'm saying many player's with a lesser level of technical mastery are more engaging than a very technical player with no energy or charisma, does that bridge the language barrier? It just seems to me that there are many players that are so preoccupied with displaying their chops that they become boring, I'm talking musician's in general not just harp players. I see this as a trend that has progressed in my lifetime. Fifties and sixties, not so much, today, seems hard to avoid.

Let's compare James Harman and Howard Levy for example. I know that's a little obtuse but I have great respect and admiration for them both, this way I won't be bashing anyone. James doesn't nearly have Howard's technical skills as a harp player. But James writes the greatest songs, is an outstanding vocalist, and knows how to punctuate, propel, and color his tunes with blues harmonica. This appeals to me much more than "look at me playing", and I sense that it has more widespread appeal. My favorite Howard Levy stuff has been when he's not demonstrating his fantastic chops, but just playing. There was broadcast of "this american life" on PBS a few years ago that I was amazed to find out was Howard, because it was just simple american roots style playing that I had not heard him do, that's when he won me over as a fan. But I think Howard's audience is much smaller than James'.

I just always want it to be about the piece, not the musician's chops, I don't view music as an athletic competition, JD