It's like the person isn't sure if they should play the 4-5 or 6 draw so they hit a variation on the three bending notes in the process. While they think they are feeling the music I sit in the audience and cringe when reeds are attacked in that manner.

Constant playing like that will put a harmonica out of tune and instill poor technique unless the player changes his/her habits.

There is playing out of tune for technique and there is just poor technique from playing out of tune.

On Apr 24, 2010, at 1:19 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:22:46 -0400
From: icemanle@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chris Michalek... harmonica genius
To: Chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

To further explain, I wasn't referring to all blues players actually playing out of tune. The statement was mostly directed towards harmonica players. Blues harmonica bends reflect that moaning, wailing sound that is between notes, expressing emotion rather than pitch perfect notes. On just tuned harmonicas, a sustained 5 hole inhale sounds out of tune (flat), but it works within the idiom...

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com