[Harp-L] Book on the harmonica in Quebecois traditional music

Bruno Kowalczyk, a marvelous harmonica player
from France, and I are proud to announce the publication of our book âThe Harmonica and Traditional QuÃbecois
Music: history, techniques, scores, and players.â Bruno and I started
writing this book about eight years ago after meeting on the internet. At the
time, I was beginning to learn how to play traditional music on tremolo
harmonicas, and there were virtually no instruction manuals available. This
book fills the void. Itâs focus on QuÃbecois
music makes it even more unique.

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ This
book is for beginner and advanced players alike. It contains historical
information about QuÃbÃcois music, the harmonicas and techniques used to play
it, scores with harmonica tablature and guitar chords for 50 outstanding
QuÃbÃcois tunes, short biographies of 88 QuÃbÃcois harmonica players,
instructions for repairing, tuning, and modifying harmonicas, instructions for
foot tapping, more than 100 diagrams, photos, and illustrations, and a list of
resources on the harmonica and/or QuÃbÃcois music. This book is not only of
particular interest to harmonica players, but to fiddlers, button
accordionists, accompanists, and everyone who loves QuÃbecois music.

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ To
compliment the book, Bruno and his band, Chicoutimi, recorded an outstanding CD,
âVente de garage.â It contains 34 of
the 50 tunes scored in the book. The musicians include Bruno (harmonicas,
feet), Olivier ChÃrÃs (fiddle, feet), Philippe SÃcheppet (guitar, piano),
Mathieu Mauger (melodeon), and guests Roby Adad (guitar on tracks 18 and 20),
Benoit Legoff (drums on track 20), and Jean-Michel ThÃbault (contrebasse on
track 20).

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ For
more information, including a CD tune list, sample pages, and instructions on
how to order, go to www.frenchship.com, or e-mail me at french.ship@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruno Kowalczyk et moi-mÃme publions un livre
bilingue (franÃais-anglais ; 312 p.)Â
intitulà "Lâharmonica dans la
musique traditionnelle quÃbÃcoise : histoire, techniques, partitions, musiciens".

Quelques-uns
des points abordÃs dans le livreÂ: les divers
types dâharmonicas (blues harp, trÃmolo, chromatique)Â; comment en jouer,
les rÃparerÂ; les techniques utilisÃes (articulation, tongue blocking,
ornementations, etc.)Â; le tapage de piedÂ; 50 partitions (avec
tablatures et grilles dâaccompagnement) de morceaux traditionnels ou de
compositions dont beaucoup sont inÃditsÂ; les biographies de 88
harmonicistes (vie, style, caractÃristiques, etc.)

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Au
final, ce livre, qui aborde un sujet jamais traitÃ, intÃressera bien Ãvidemment
les joueurs dâharmonica, mais aussi à travers les 50 partitions proposÃes, les
violonistes, les joueurs
dâaccordÃon un rang ou deux rangs, les accompagnateurs et plus largement, tous
les amoureux de la musique quÃbÃcoise.

AccompagnÃ
du CD ÂÂVente de garageÂÂ: Le CD a Ãtà conÃu
pour accompagner le livre.

Olivier
ChÃrÃs : violon, ; pieds.

Bruno
Kowalczyk: harmos diatoniques 10 trous, trÃmolos,
mineurs, chromatiques ; pieds.

Mathieu
Mauger : mÃlodÃon.

Philippe