[Harp-L] Bands at Jam Sessions

Anyone else cringe when whole bands show up at a jam?  Seems to  defeat the
purpose of the event.  It's usually a new grouping of  inexperienced
players looking for exposure, and more often than not they  don't give a rat's ass
about the jam format, i.e. they play  a LOUD rock or a folk set at a blues
thing... or blues at a  jazz thing.  I often see jam hosts let them play 4
- 6 off-topic songs before swapping them out, which is extra,  extra
annoying if the joint is full of people waiting to  participate in a jam session.

I have a new duo partner, we're hosting an acoustic blues jam in  Northern
Colorado.  I needed a good way to deal with  this & came up with a workable
solution.  Actually wrote an  entire list of guidelines but most of it has
been recently covered here, so  just posting the first few items.

1.   This is a BLUES jam, not a generic open mic.  Your material should
focus on acoustic  blues and closely related formats.   Non-blues performances
by  invitation only.
2.   The format of  this jam is not one of high volume levels; there are
some loud electric jams on other  nights if that is what you want to do.
Please keep this in mindâ turn down/play  softer if asked.  Pickup instruments
& small amps allowed only within the noted volume constraints.
3.   In keeping within the spirit of a  jam session, we do not promise a
band or solo performance.  When it happens, solo acts or bands are  allowed
one song before others are  brought up.
I think that item #3  solves a lot of problems.  They know going in that
it's 'one and done' if they get on stage as a band.   Same applies if you
don't want to put them up there at all... just show  them the guidelines & say
in a friendly manner that there's a lot of  musicians in the house & there
isn't time to accommodate a band.  The  beauty of this approach is that if
you like em' you can leave them up for a  longer performance, but if they are
stinkin' it up you can give them the  hook right away without it becoming a
big  deal.
The new jam  is every 1st Thursday 7:30-10pm.  Monroe's Lounge/Best Western
Hotel  I-25 & Hwy 34
Christopher  Richards  - Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones