Re: [Harp-L] NHC: Pat on Kenny

Hi Martin,

I'm not going to defend Kenny G, I don't care for his music and actually I'm
not a fan of Pat Metheny's music either but both are very different indeed.
I think the biggest dilemma we have is including the word 'JAZZ' when
describing Kenny G and 'Smooth Jazz' Music.

I'm not big on labeling genres as I feel it creates problems, but I'd call
that music 'INSTRUMENTAL POP' instead of anything with Jazz in the title.

No, I wasn't happy about him inserting himself with Louis Armstrong on a Video but that is not the point I'm arguing here....

What I do object to is the 'bashing' approach Metheny has taken, his 'Jazz
Snobbery' is what i find the biggest turn off. Kenny G is a product of
commercial music in America. It was this same snobbery that kept the great Bandleader and arr Stan Kenton in the press during his career calling Country Music "Ignorant and perverted". Another words, OUR Jazz is hip and all others forms of music are for the 'musical hopeless'.

The Fact of the matter is Kenny G sells records and makes crowds happy, if you don't like it get over it, don't listen to it but leave the guy alone we don't need musical 'bullying'. He found a way to get rich and more power to him...I don't see Springsteen getting as much heat for cutting deals to sell 'volume' with wal-mart! It's done all the time....it's called the Music BUISNESS. Unfortunately, the buisness part too many times overshadows creativity and as you said 'Quality'.

Steering this argument back to Harmonica, I saw some of these same tendencies of musical 'elitism' in amazing players like Larry Adler and even Eddy Manson. They were very open about putting down other players and genres on the Harmonica and to me it took away from there greatness, that is just my opinion ofcourse and I have tremendous respect for their beautiful music and unique contributions to our instrument.

IMO, the world is LARGE and there is a place for so many styles of music and performers.....unfortunately in America, the 'Schmaltz' has always been a bit out of control,-).....but it's what makes US, US...no pun intended.-)

PS....on another topic, I'll be in Sweden in June, let me know if it's close and if you wanna make the show, love to have ya as a guest!
Liseberg, Göteborg, Sweden (Blood Sweat and Tears)

Best,
Rob Paparozzi

----- Original Message ----- From: "martin oldsberg" <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx>