Re: [Harp-L] is there any such thing as talent?

There's lots of different kinds of talent, and you need most of them to rise to the top.

The four that come to mind:
1. The talent to really absorb and learn something. I can easily learn some musical instruments. I can't learn to cook above a certain rudimentary level, no matter what my wife shows me. I could, but I don't HAVE TO, while with music, I don't have to, I just DO.
2. The talent to really put in the hours every day. Everyone I know who is successful has put in lots and lots of time, daily.
3. The talent to get something out of all that practice. I lived below a jazz pianist who practiced like a sonofabitch, but he always made the exact same mistakes, day in and day out. No fun to listen to. And he never got above a certain skill level. On the other hand, the guitarist Carl Verheyen practices incessantly, hours and hours every day. He's always inventing new stuff because of all that work. Really good new stuff. He's always perfecting his techniques so that they express more and more real music.
4. Fire. I know lots of players who have come out of Berklee. They all have huge chops and incredible technical knowlege. The ones with fire wield their music like a sword. The ones who lack fire can write and play but whatever they're doing doesn't reach into the hearts of the audience, no matter how hard they try. They have no desire to astonish with music (as opposed to astonishing with chops) and no will to invent new ideas. They do not understand why the big jobs don't come their way.

I hate the idea that you either have these things or you don't. But hard, hard work will help you uncover the truth about what you've got. If you've even got a tiny molecule of each kind of talent, you can develop it to two molecules and then zillions over time.

But most people really need a good mentor who can help them focus on their nascent talents. A sad thing about harmonica is that most players are out there on their own. There are few mentors. Find a great harmonica player in your area and see if you can't talk that person into mentoring you. The really good ones can see the tiny seeds and help you develop those and uncover others.

This advice may not be for Jim Alciere, the original poster of the question, who for all I know is an incredible, fiery player. But I just want to make sure that newer players don't read what I wrote up there and think that since they don't really see any talents in themselves they don't have talents. Hard work is the centerpiece to the whole thing.

But find a mentor if you can.