[Harp-L] Super Sonny Sighting

Was at a private house party last night, musical entertainment around the pool area provided by Mark Hummel, Rusty Zinn and the Blues Survivors, PA provided by me - Bose PAS times two.

Mark used a Super Sonny amp. Volume was low for this gig, vocals and bass direct output into the Bose gave crystal clear sound. I was never a fan of the original Sonny Jr amps; however, the sound from the Super Sonny at this low volume really surprised me. It had a great crunch tone and also "that vintage sound" - which is hard to really describe, but easy to recognize when one hears it. This aspect is what sets it apart from other harmonica amps, to my ears. A few of the other boutique amps really do have a great crunch tone, but somehow lack "that vintage sound". Super Sonny sounds like a beat up old amp on a smoky Chicago Blues Bar stage.

Mark sounded great, as usual, as did Rusty and the band. Informal and low key/volume setting made it a real delight to get caught up in the music. Instead of "beating you over the head with volume" that most bar bands subscribe to, Mark and his band let the low volume groove do its magic, enticing dancers and foot tappers with the artistry of the music.