Re: [Harp-L] Zoom G2 effects pedal (Frank Sloat)

"geoff atkins" wrote:
<I use the Zoom G2, with separate control pedal from an earlier Zoom 505ii,
<and for the price the G2 cost, I'm completely satisfied.
<One lack is not being able to fit externally-created harp patches, like say
<Richard's. But it's fun to experiment to find what suits your playing style,
<and get that "special" effect.

I've played around with the Zoom G1 and G2, and I think they both make great sounds.  As per Geoff's comments, the big issue for me is that they don't offer computer editing, backup, and storage of the sounds in the device.  When I was using the Digitech RP200 for performances, I was always terrified that something would happen to wipe out the device memory, after which it would take an hour to put the patch settings back in.  With the newer RPs, I don't worry about it.  If something happens to memory, I can reload it via USB in a minute.  For that matter, I can store different configurations of sounds for specific styles, bands, or gigs, and load them in on demand when I need to.

For me, the link to the computer is a really big deal, and that's why I use the Digitechs.  The only alternative in that regard is the Line6 devices, which also connect to the computer.  Because the biggest factor in owning one of these devices is time--time to set it up to make the sounds you want--I stick with one make. But if Zoom were to introduce a USB link to their devices, with good software for editing and storing sounds, I might be enticed to add one to my rig.  Certainly they're priced to sell.  (The Line 6 devices are premium-priced compared to either Digitech or Zoom, and I frankly don't think they sound any better.)

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick