The remaining crud is from the previous player. You may be able to get rid of this with further application of Ka-Boom - though -NOTE THAT THE CURRENT VERSION OF KA-BOOM SAY NOT TO USE IT ON BRASS. I'd use a metal polish like Noxon 9 - rub some of this on with a soft cloth or even fingertips. it make take two or three applications before you can get ri of the crud. some brass discoloration may remain but that won't interfere with an airtight seal.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com

Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

--- On Wed, 4/7/10, Sean Murphy <taser8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Sean Murphy <taser8@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Breathy harp?
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 5:35 PM

I followed Jason Ricci's "Mongoose Free" cleaning method on an old
inherited Special 20 last week, and had a couple of questions...

First, I note that despite working it for a while (lightly! quickly!)
I've still got some pretty significant discolorations on the plates -
I am chalking those up to residue from the previous owner, am I
correct?

Of more concern, however, is that the harp seems really...I don't know
how else to say it...breathy now. That is to say, it plays fine on the
lower notes but as I move higher and higher it seems like it takes
more and more wind to sound a note - I can hear a very clear
windy/breathy sound before the notes blows, and even when it's
sounding I can hear my breath hissing through the harp.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I note that JR refers to making
the harp "airtight" - could that be it? What does that entail? I
tightened it up pretty solidly when I reassembled the harp, so I don't
think it's air leaking between anything but I could well be wrong...

Thanks!
Sean