[Harp-L] FLAT!! But Maybe Not??

I hate it when other musicians try to tell me what harp to use instead of just calling the key of the tune. Not long ago, I was sitting in with a band that started to play "Little Wing" which is in E natural minor and the bass player leans over and says, just grab an A harp. Of course, had i followed his suggestion, I would have sounded so bad it's unlikely they would have ever invited me to sit in again. I looked at the organ player and said "You're in E minor, right?" just to be sure of the key, received a nod, grabbed a C harp to play in Fifth Position, and the bass player probably never knew the difference. But I just hate it when that happens.

The only exception is a jazz band leader who knows i play in multiple positions, and sometimes will suggest that I try using this key or that key harp for a certain tune I've never played before. But I've been playing with this guy for a while, he has a Masters in Music, and usually makes pretty helpful suggestions that help me handle unfamiliar material. He's not one of those folk who don't know about anything other than playing in first or second position but think they know what the harp player should be doing. But, I'll sometimes choose to play in Fifth position when he suggests Fourth, since he tends to think of Fifth as purely Phrygian, while i think of it as natural minor so long as I avoid the flat seconds (draw 5 and draw 9). So, i may ask him if i need the second (the "two") to play the melody, (as you do more often in jazz than in blues), and if so, I'll go with Fourth. But he's a guitar player and always talks to me in terms of keys, not "positions." I learn a lot playing with this guy. In fact. he's the one who showed me how to play "Little Wing."

Btw, when a band that always tunes down a half step doesn't tell you they are doing that, it may not be deliberate. If they play that way all the time, they get so used it that they may just forget to mention it.

JP