[Harp-L] any advice on gapping for bend control?

Shaun,

I've been playing Suzukis more or less exclusively for almost 3 years. i do not modify my harps or tune them, nor would I even know how to attempt doing so. But I do adjust gaps when necessary and occasionally I've needed to OPEN the gaps of particular reeds on a new Suzuki. I'm certainly no expert, but from what you describe, I'm thinking that you may want to open the gap on the draw 3 reed. Since bending involves the blow reed as well, you may also need to open the gap on the blow 3 reed, but probably not as much.

Besides Joe Spiers' YouTube videos on gapping, Adam Gussow also has one. Take a look at those. Gapping isn't difficult and it's worth learning how to do. i have minimal mechanical aptitude and even less interest in tinkering, but even i learned to gap my harps without much difficulty just by watching Gussow's video (Joe's hadn't been posted yet). I use a feeler gauge i bought from Dave Payne at Elk River Harmonicas, but other implements (or even a piece of paper) will do just as well.

Hope this is of some help.

JP