Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Leighton

What a beautiful post. Thank you, Richard.

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com

Richard Sleigh wrote:
I have heard many times that your tone of voice has a lot more effect than the words you are speaking, and the same goes for music. Charlie Leighton had a huge musical vocabulary, but it was his tone that always stunned me and touched my heart in ways that I will never be able express in words. I bought the tapes that Tom talks about from Richard Farrell years before I heard Charlie play live, and although they were amazing, nothing compared to what I heard when he played at SPAH live. No effects, just his technique. I was totally star-struck to the point where I found it hard to talk to him at first, but he was so easygoing that I got over it enough to talk tone with him. His advice was to work at matching the vibrato and tone blowing and drawing by playing the draw 4 C note (slide in) and the blow C notes on a 280, or the draw / blow F notes , same idea....

I went home and spent 6 months working on those exercises daily on both the 280 and the diatonic harmonica and then wrote Charlie a letter to say thanks for the inspiration and ideas. He called me on the phone to thank me for the letter, and it was such a surprise to me that he would do that that once again, it took me a couple of minutes to get my bearings and say something halfway intelligent.

Charlie loved the wood 280 Chromatic, and in particular the older ones that came originally with leather wind-savers and the rounded rivets. I looked around till I found some of those harps, and they really do feel special to me. I don't really care at this point if I hear something special in those harps because I expect to, or if there is some other x factor at work. They remind me of Charlie, and Charlie reminds me that music has profound and mysterious powers that can be felt but not explained. They can also be attained by a kind of practice that is more of a surrender, an allowing, an opening of the heart, than an attempt to master an instrument.

I do hope that someone collects some unreleased recordings of Charlie's playing , even fragments, and makes them available. I would love to see more of his music out there for people to appreciate.

I am sure that Charlie is resting in peace, because that is the way he lived, as far as I can tell....

Richard Sleigh

shop address:
205 E. Pine Street
Philipsburg PA 16866-1623