Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic Hohner harp repairs

Anyone who is any good at repairing harmonicas and is actually doing it as a business is going to charge the kind of money that might make buying a new insturment attractive.

Given that likelihood, you have to ask yourself this question:

What is to be gained by keeping an existing instrument in service?

Possible answers:

- It's worth saving the 25% over the cost of a new instrument.

- I like the model of instrument I have better than what I could buy with the cost of the repair.

- I like too many things about the individual instrument I'm playing to want to give it up.

- A good harmonica tech can make my present instrument play BETTER than a new instrument.

These are all valid reasons to repair (and possibly upgrade) what you have.

harmonica servicing falls into two categories:

-- Minimal restoration

-- Value added

One thing about Hohner service (and probably true of other manufacturers as well). Their only service aim is to return an instrument to a functionally playable condition. Do the minimum to get it working acceptably. That's minimal restoration. Nothing wrong with it, but more is possible.

Independent techs - at least the good ones -  know how to make an instrument better than new. A manufacturer may have a great design, but to sell it at an attractive price point they may not be able to do all the finishing work that would make the instrument really sing. A good tech can do that, whether the instrument is new or not. And that's more than restoration to playable condition. That's value added.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa