Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder on Brand New Day

Amen!

Both Rob and Brendan sound terrific on this tune.

The original with Stevie is of course priceless. I also saw some tv show a while back (I forget which one) where both Stevie and Sting were featured and they did a live version of this tune together. Two great talents and one cool song.

As for harmonica being a sideline for Stevie, I think this just illustrates how a person's musical experience will come through regardless of the instrument they're playing. Stevie learned how to make the harmonica work for him when he was still a child -- best I can tell, he invented this style of playing just like he invented a vocal style that's already inspired a couple of generations of singers.

Since there are many fewer chromatic harmonica players than vocalists to carry on his brilliance, it warms my heart every time I hear a harmonica player going for that elusive Stevie magic on the instrument -- even when the motivation is literally a commercial one. Nice job Rob and Brendan! You are both awesome!

- Slim.