[Harp-L] Solo harp gig with Digitech RP350

Hi all,

I performed solo today at the Farmer's Market in Weston CT.  It was a good gig, and I sold 36 CDs, about which I'll say more in another post.  This was my first solo harp gig with the Digitech RP350, and I want to talk about how that went.

In general, it went very well indeed.  I've noted previously that the RP350 has several very nice reverbs and a lot of good delays, and these turned out to be terrifically useful in performance.  I've set up a number of reverb-only patches and delay + reverb patches in my new set, and I was able to easily produce a wide range of different ambiences onstage by switching between delays and hall, plate, and room reverbs, and setting the effect level with the footpedal.  I will never do another solo acoustic gig without this pedal--for reverbs alone, it sounds great, and the footpedal is a terrifically convenient way to bring ambience in and out of the sound.

I also used my Akai Headrush looper pedal on this gig, and while it's a very limited device--maximum of 22 seconds loop for one layer, 11 seconds for multiple layer looping--I was able to get some great textures by playing a simple 2-chord pattern with one sound, looping it, and soloing over it with another sound.  I plan to get a better dedicated looper device--one that will handle, say, a minute or two of looping--very soon.

I had to play at a relatively low volume level on this gig, so I didn't get much of a chance to hear how the more amped-up patches on the RP350 sounded.   Stay tuned for some Youtube vids on that topic.  In the meantime, I recorded the audio for this gig, and I'll check out the recording to see whether there's something worth posting there.

Regards, Richard hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter