From: Michelle LeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] custom harps
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:14:24 -0600

> Frank Evers helped respond to Rainbow Jimmy's request:
>

> >  and I think they both sell toolkits, along with Chris Michalek and
> >  Lee Oskar.
>
> ...and Seydel

Yes Seydel offers a very comprehensive (but expensive) tool kit:
http://www.seydel1847.de/epages/Seydel.sf/sec_E0Rh5NGHI6/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Seydel/Products/900000
They also sell a sub-kit for tuning reeds (rotary file & tuner)

Rupert Oysler (Seydel USA rep) offers a comprehensive DVD set:
http://www.harprepair.com/
(Surprisingly, I didn't find it on the Seydel website...)

Though I've never used it, Hohner USA reportedly will sell individual reeds and strips of rivets:
http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1487

Harponline (Germany) offers a number of tools:
http://www.harponline.de/shop/index.php?lang_id=en_GB
Again, I've never used them but they reportedly sell individual parts such as reeds and reedplates.

I can contribute these additional resources:

Both Hohner and Hering sell toolkits that are more complete (and more expensive) than the Lee Oskar kit. Coast to Coast carries the Lee Oskar toolkit and posts its instruction sheet online: http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/diatonic/maintenance.shtml
This is a nice instruction sheet but very basic. Good enough to get you started setting reed offsets.

There are many free online resources that are available, for example -
Kinya Pollard has a fine series of articles on Mel Bay's "Harmonica Sessions" newsletter:
http://www.harmonicasessions.com/apr04/h-workbench.html
(back track to earlier articles)
Franz Chmel has a nice series of "workshops" centered on chromatics, but much also applies to diatonics (he shows how to replace reed with screws instead of rivets):
http://www.chmel.at/sites/workshops.html
G's venerable site should not be forgotten:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/maintstart.html

Youtube is an excellent resource:
Joe Spiers has a very good series of videos on adjusting reed offsets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh79GaDVmC8
Chris Michalek teaches reed slot embossing and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsx4whDuxA&feature=related
Richard Sleigh has several videos describing his toolkit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rflrvFRlvt8&feature=PlayList&p=05274A56956CEB0B&index=0
Dave Payne has a series of videos on harmonica repair, etc:
http://www.youtube.com/user/elkriverharmonicas#grid/user/F0ED43880C8ED96B

I'm certain I've only scratched the surface of the resources available today. I'd like to see other Harp-L'ers contribute to a more comprehensive list, but these should get you started, Jimmy.

Just a few years ago, few if any of theses resources were available. It's a great time to start working on your own harps!

Michelle