From: mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:12:59 AM
Subject: Fwd:  [Harp-L] DLS RotoSim

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John F. Potts" wrote: JD, No.  i usually don't use it if there's an organ in the band.  But, it
would be a sort of apples and oranges comparison anyway.  I'm not
necessarily trying to precisely imitate an organ, although using this
pedal certainly has sort of that effect.  That's why i don't use it
if I'm playing with a real organ.  I consider it to give me an organ
like voice for the harmonica, not an imitation of an organ, (although
this may be a distinction without  difference), I can pass along a story.  i was sitting with a reggae band, using my
pedals.  The bass player was a very experienced musician.  After the
gig we were talking and he said a couple of times he had to look
twice because i sounded so much like an organ he was fooled.  Some of
that has to do with embouchure/oral resonance chamber and breath
technique--I change technique when the RotoSim is on to interact
better with the effect and sound more "organ--like."  I also will
usually phrase differently as i play when it's engaged.  But one has
to be very careful--it's tempting to play keyboard like phrases but a
harmonica does not have the capability of "building" keyboard like
chords, so you can really mess things up if you get carried away. The pedal is designed for keyboards and guitars. although it's
certainly harmonica friendly.  I play frequently with a band that
uses a a Roland keyboard with good organ/leslie sounds and another
band that uses a new Suzuki-Hammond that sounds pretty good too.  But
I played recently with a real Hammond C-3 and Leslie on stage and
there's truly nothing like the real thing.  But the RotoSim is very
decent as far as rotary sound pedals go. JP