[Harp-L] DLS RotoSim

JD,

No. i usually don't use it if there's an organ in the band. But, it would be a sort of apples and oranges comparison anyway. I'm not necessarily trying to precisely imitate an organ, although using this pedal certainly has sort of that effect. That's why i don't use it if I'm playing with a real organ. I consider it to give me an organ like voice for the harmonica, not an imitation of an organ, (although this may be a distinction without difference),

I can pass along a story. i was sitting with a reggae band, using my pedals. The bass player was a very experienced musician. After the gig we were talking and he said a couple of times he had to look twice because i sounded so much like an organ he was fooled. Some of that has to do with embouchure/oral resonance chamber and breath technique--I change technique when the RotoSim is on to interact better with the effect and sound more "organ--like." I also will usually phrase differently as i play when it's engaged. But one has to be very careful--it's tempting to play keyboard like phrases but a harmonica does not have the capability of "building" keyboard like chords, so you can really mess things up if you get carried away.

The pedal is designed for keyboards and guitars. although it's certainly harmonica friendly. I play frequently with a band that uses a a Roland keyboard with good organ/leslie sounds and another band that uses a new Suzuki-Hammond that sounds pretty good too. But I played recently with a real Hammond C-3 and Leslie on stage and there's truly nothing like the real thing. But the RotoSim is very decent as far as rotary sound pedals go.

JP