[Harp-L] re: TONE/tone

You can adjust the timbre of what you play in many fairly significant ways. But, I find that despite this wind players are almost always recognizable and distinct. I would perhaps differentiate (and didn't enough in my original post--indeed, mixed the two improperly) between timbre and tone--the former can be shaped in many ways and is a more fluid thing. The later is usually distinct and only alterable to a small degree.

Stevie Wonder is a good example of someone who has a recognizable and distinct tone on many different harmonica types (chromatic, diatonic, XB-40) and yet can and does use many different timbres when he plays. It's why even when someone plays in a different format or genre than I'm used to hearing them in (and their playing is stylistically different from their norm) I usually find myself recognizing who the player is. This is not just true for harmonica, but all wind players--sax, trumpet, etc...

I would say that all the examples of how to shape and change the sound given were examples of changing the timbre but not the tone. Perhaps it's a somewhat meaningless difference, but then perhaps not.

Another example is the late great Douglas Tate. Douglas was a master at shaping the timbre of what he played, using many techniques including a more detailed study of hand cup resonance than anyone else I've ever seen. But no matter what, he had a distinct tone that came through it all. I'd consider Adler in the same vein--massive changes in timbre, but distinctive and recognizable.

JR Ross