Re: [Harp-L] Miles / All Blues

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:52:59 -0400
From: icemanle@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Miles / All Blues
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I could not agree more with this. After listening I refrained from posting due to my lack of credibility because of my playing ability. First, although I don't care for much country music, I absolutely love Mickey Raphael's playing. However, this just doesn't sound like real jazz to me. There were missing notes in the melody and the solo was like he was playing a different song. I'm sure to make enemies but I think there are very few harmonica players who can really play credible jazz. I just don't think the instrument lends itself to this style of music except in the hands of real virtuosos. Even at that, the harmonica in jazz just cannot convey the feeling I get from listening to a good sax or trumpet player.

Marc Spilka
Los Gatos, Ca

I second that emotion. Also, please listen to the original All Blues - hopefully you will begin to hear the subtleties that make this tune - the true melodic line. Mickey Raphael (and so many others who play this tune) play a version of "All Blues Lite", changing a few of the notes. What Miles did was so simple yet so harmonically rich that it is easy to "mis-remember" how the line goes.