From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ray Beltran <raybeltran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Out of the Moment
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 18:13:38 -0400

Ray Beltran writes:

"I categorize players not between embouchure, but rather if they are
a throat player... or not. Once everything moves back to the throat,
all bets are off... MOSTLY.
***
But again, overall, it's are you player from your throat.?

I completely agree with everything that Ray is saying.  In my
experience, the key to tone AND articulation is playing with the
throat and controlling air flow with the diaphragm.  By this, I mean
that I do all bending with my throat, not my tongue (or, maybe,  it’s
actually the root of my tongue which is so far back it feels like
it's my throat).  I do NOT use my tongue to bend, except for 10 hole
blow bends (and I hardly ever play those anyway)..

I articulate separation between notes by starting and stopping the
airflow with my diaphragm.  I do NOT  use my tongue  to get
separation between notes UNLESS I want a particularly extreme
staccato effect OR if the music requires that I  use the “rolling the
Rs” technique because the phrasing of the line I have to play is so
complex.

Several years ago in my quest for improved tone and after reading
something in an email promo from David Barrett, I began a conscious
effort to move everything back farther towards my throat.  After a
while, I found it became unnecessary to use my tongue for bending
notes.  And there was a HUGH improvement in my tone.

 Btw, keeping a RELAXED and OPEN throat and a large relaxed oral
resonance chamber is essential. All air pressure comes from the
diaphragm.  Then, with just a little tightening or constriction of
the throat, it is possible to achieve the bend(s) you are after with
accuracy AND improved tone.  It doesn’t take very much muscle
movement at all if everything else is sufficiently open and relaxed
(dropped jaw, yawn like mouth position, etc.).  I learned to do this
several years ago.

I started articulating clean separation between notes with my
diaphragm much, much earlier.  I’ve been doing it for quite a while.
Besides improved tone and EVENNESS of attack, one considerable
advantage to doing this is SPEED.  Once a player learns how to do it,
you can articulate clean and precise separation between notes with
your diaphragm MUCH faster and with greater precision than by using
your tongue.  And you get a much more consistent attack.

 If one can keep the airway and oral resonance chamber open and
relaxed while articulating separation with the diaphragm, and bending
with the throat, playing 16th note or even 32d note runs accurately,
with proper meter and tempo and precise, clean articulation  becomes
relatively easy.  I don’t always play that fast, but it’s very useful
to be able to play lines at the same speed as a sax when you want/
need to.

Again, TBing will force the player to develop all of these
techniques, but, unlike Ray, I learned them BEFORE I became able to
TB single notes consistently. So, I don’t consider it necessary that
a player learn to TB in order to develop superior tone and
technique.  And,  I just can’t play with as much speed when I TB as I
can when I LP.

Anyway, all of this stuff is actually much easier to do than it is to
learn   It’s sort of like riding a bicycle:  Once you’ve got it, you
can hardly believe there was a time you couldn’t do it.

FWIW

JP