Fw: Re: [Harp-L] Pioneer Brand Harmonica

Anytime you see "made in the Republic
of Ireland" you can bet it was made in Hohner's factory in
Galloway. Hohner developed this reputation for quality back
 in the 1800s and early 1900s, not because their stuff was
 any better, but because they either made up some brand name
 for their cheap products,  or they bought some other
 company, shut its factory down, but used the name on its
 cheapest lines. Later on, the trend of using other brand
 names for the cheaper lines continued, but at some point,
 those were no longer made in Germany.
 Hohner basically used Ireland after the 1960s and until the
 1980s basically in the same way it uses China today.
 But this is of far less quality than I have ever anything
 Hohner made in Ireland. This Toymonica (just came up with
 that word) looks worse than anything I've ever seen Hohner
 make overseas.
 This is just an educated guess, but I wonder if this might
 have been made at Galloway before or after Hohner left... or
 did Hohner get into the Toy harmonica business...

 Dave
 www.elkriverharmonicas.com