[Harp-L] Re: Les Thompson

I had the pleasure of meeting Les Thompson years ago at an after NAMM party. But what I didn't know at the time was that Les was featured  at a legendary concert at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in 1949 where he was backed by the Howard McGhee (tpt) sextet featuring Wardell Gray (ts) and Dodo Marmarosa (d).   The set led by Les came out on CD a few years ago.  The set led by Wardell is one of Gray's finest moments and has been a bebop classic for many decades.   I don't know when Toots started playing jazz harmonica, but Les Thompson must be the first harmonica players to be featured with original beboppers like Maggie, Dell and Dodo!