Re: [Harp-L] Re: An Amazing Performance

So are you saying that it was a terrific performance because he did it with a cheap amp? If he'd done it through cool amp would it not have been as amazing? What takes more skill, playing amazingly through a cool amp or a walmart special? Just curious.

Ray Beltran wrote:
Um... well...

I think you may be correct. That perhaps it is a bit of naivete on your part, Elizabeth.

Quite frankly, there are a LOT of us who do care about our amplification.

Here's what you're missing: You see, the AMPLIFIED harmonica player considers his equipment to be a vital link in the chain that is his/her sound. I consider it to be quite literally another instrument altogether, and attempt to understand it, play it and take care of it in this manner.

Understanding HOW to "move" the equipment in order to achieve a desired sound by utilizing different attacks and pressures and techniques is something I regard in my teaching as a separate subject. And it seems to be something that you do not yet understand, or perhaps have no desire to understand.

Just as electric guitars introduced a variety of sounds through amplification that resulted in an entirely new approach to guitar playing, so too in a similar manner has amplifying the harmonica. Our intent is to color the sound to where at times one may sound like an organ, a guitar, a horn, and yes, even a harmonica as PART OF the music and what it calls for in any given moment.

When I first began playing amplified, I thought it was simply a matter of picking up a mic and blowing. Nothing could be further from the truth. It took me years to understand and execute, and is a continued work in progress. I've seen a lot of good acoustic harmonica players with excellent acoustic tone having never studied or learned amplified playing sound thin and lifeless when attempting to play amplified. It's just not that easy. Again, the amplified player is introducing a coloration to his/her sound that is much more than just playing loudly. Playing amplified CORRECTLY is "delivering the goods" in my book. Nothing like a thin, lifeless, weak amplified sound to spoil the performance.

Our appreciation of this is FAR from "focusing our lives on what someone plays through." You just don't seem to understand how amplifiers are an important part in achieving a quality of sound (among other things) that does, in fact, move audiences as part of the musical presentation IF EXECUTED CORRECTLY.

Clay Kirkland has, in the instance described by Rick, demonstrated a level of ability in amplification that is difficult to achieve considering the suspect quality of his equipment. Those of us who understand what he's achieved applaud him, even if some of us don't agree on his choice of equipment. His amplified technique and it's impact in his message is incredible. And it's the sound, the texture, the dynamics of amplified playing that is a part of his music and was no doubt a very major part of Clays performance, otherwise he would not have considered playing amplified AT ALL.

I think if you've spent any amount of time attempting to seriously study amplified playing, you would appreciate what Rick is trying to say about Clay's performance.

Consider Rick's blog:
http://bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/
It's primary focus is understanding and discussing amplified harmonica playing. I know what he's trying to say.

I tire of the attitudes that don't understand the role of amplification as an instrument in the musical message yet are quick to level a judgement against those of us who do. The attitude that implies that we're just a bunch of gear heads who simply plug in and blow.

Where's the tolerance? Where's the love?

Just because one does not understand is no reason to lambast.

Ray.
--
My Music – www.resgraphics.com/music
My YouTube – www.youtube.com/raybee127