[Harp-L] RE: Hohner/Astatic JT-30 (not a good mic)

Our club did a product review of this mic a couple of months ago as a part
of the educational program at one of our meetings.  At least three people in
the club own one and all three had that mic with them the night of that
meeting.  That says something in itself.  The consensus of the club review
found the mic to be useable and a good base to develop a better custom mic.
Granted, little club jams and professional gigs are two entirely different
things and I don't think anybody is seriously considering any high end
gigging with this mic.  But, it sounded fine at our little jam. At the
meeting where the review took place, Dave Berntson played his through a
little 5 watt Fender Champ we were also reviewing.  Sounded great, but of
course, Dave could milk fat tone out of a tin can and string.  One of Dave's
students from out of town played his and got a nice fat Chicago sound out of
it as well.  I play mine through a DigiTech RP50 and have been complimented
on the clarity and depth of the tone.  Granted, the signal has had a great
deal of processing, but so what if it sounds OK?  Again, this is all just
informal, little town, little club stuff.  Not in the same league with most
of you guys. The little mic is not pro standard by any means but I think it
is useful and affordable for the hobbyist.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, Oklahoma