Subject: [Harp-L] Blisters and sore tongue from playing

Graham:

Despite all of the other answers, I'd like to ask you if the sores and
blisters are where your tongue actually hits the harp - or if you're finding
them along the sides, undersides and towards the back of your tongue?

I ran into this problem - which had me completely perplexed given that I'm
in no way a tongue blocker.. play primarily chromatics, and then all
plastic ones for the most part with smooth rounded holes (the CX-12). It didn't
make sense.

However..because I've been undergoing some extensive dental work and also
have a severe TMJ problem (my jaw is very out of whack causing me to grind
my  lower teeth which leaves sharp edges at times)..it took a while but I
finally figured out that during those hours of playing, I was injuring my
tongue  on the BACK or inside of my own teeth...it wasn't the harmonicas' fault
at all.

So sanding down the comb teeth..sealing it - switching to another
instrument - would not be a fix for my particular problem. I either  had to stop
playing until my tongue healed...or come up with a solution.

At last year's SPAH I was in severe pain, so bought a 'tooth  filling' kit
at the local drug store and covered over a bottom molar whose  extremely
sharp edges I'd obviously just created (and which had left a very  painful
wound on the side of my tongue)  ...the fix held for  about 3 weeks or so, gave
me some immediate relief which allowed the  injury to heal with use of
Orajel to numb the area...and I was  able to keep playing. The dentist later said
I did a good enough job to protect  myself for 'a while'.

He is now staying on top of the situation for me..looks for and  smoothes
down any rough or sharp edges he finds allowing for any  abrasions to heal
before they get a chance to wear through into real  sores. I simply had been
practice/playing for too long with faceted  edges I've ground into my teeth
overnight, thereby creating a 'cutting'  surface I don't notice until much
too late. I'm also trying  to become much more aware.

Elizabeth
PS.  I would most definitely agree with the premise of cleaning and
disinfecting one's harps after each playing session since cleanliness can
definitely play a part and I'm a wee bit OCD when it comes to my  harmonicas.

"Message: 9