Re: [Harp-L] How Disturbed Are We?

A good question Martin! IMO, I think we have to stop thinking like
'Harmonica Players' I don't think it HAS to be blues or any genre in
particular it just has to be 'Musical'. I'm in constant search for melodies
and licks that sit well on our axe. But the best way to do that is to listen
to other instruments, styles etc...

Toots once scolded me and said, "Stop listening to ME (toots) and you will
find your own voice if you like jazz, listen to the greats and find
something to bring back to your harmonica".

I'm always looking for music to bring back to the axe, The more you play and
are comfortable with the instrument, the more you will hear what will 'sit
well' on your harp....

When I went to make my record, I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't
a record for Harmonica Players, it's for Music Lovers!,-)

Not really a direct answer to the question....but I bet our non harp friends
will appreciate more of what we play if we keep this in mind.....

All the Best,
Rob Paparozzi

On 11/30/09 7:41 PM, "David Fertig" <drfertig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Martin Oldsberg posed a good q: "What can your friends with an ear
> for music stand in terms of harmonica? "Candlelight, wine and Charlie"?
> "Peg of my heart" for the umpteenth time? Or does it have to be blues
> -- where the harmonica seems to have a sort of natural habitat -- for
> it to go down?    How disturbed are we?"
>
> Martin, I can only speak for myself: I do not like most "harmonica music."
> Nor do I like any one instrument in all it's (allegedly) musical
> manifestations.  Why?  Because of tone and taste.
>
> Just 'cause one can get the "correct" note on a particular instrument doesn't
> mean one should, I mean if you can't get a tasteful tone, why bother?   Simply
> put, while notes may make the song, for me it's the tone that makes it
> soulful, and the taste that makes it worthwhile.
>
> Consider, a correct string of notes can still sound awful, but one note, any
> note,  with good tone can transport you.  Me, anyway...
>
> Dave "wish I could do as I say" Fertig
>
> --- On Mon, 11/30/09, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx <harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> Re: [Harp-L] is your partner in the crowd?
> Monday, November 30, 2009 11:35 AM
>

>             From:  "martin oldsberg" <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx>

> put a slightly off topic spin the above question I think it would be
> interesting to know what kind of tolerance you find in friends and such
> for what may be called "harmonica music". (Harmonica music, loosely
> defined as music with a prominent, center stage, harmonica in it.)
>

> The harmonica geek (an illness of which I have a tempered affliction)
> has an enormous openminded-ness towards things harmonical (sometimes
> almost literally so: you can practically see the hole in the head) and
> thinks that another version of whatever burned out old chestnut you can
> rake out of the scrapheap is just fine as long as it features a ... --
> you guess.
>
>   To reintroduce spouses: My wife screams -- and
> not with delight -- when I, once a year or so, play any of my Charlie
> Mccoy records, no matter that I point to the sometimes palpably
> apparent harmonica qualities in the work.
>   Being the tender loving
> caring hubby that I am I of course immediatly reach out for the volume
> knob, and turn it ... up, to drown out the screams. But some resentment
> lingers.
>
>   I shall not even mention what happened when I once
> put on a find from the bargain bin, by a theretofore to me unknown
> supergroup by the name of "The Hotcha Trio". (This record will, by the
> way, be donated to anyone who cares to make a visit to my home.)
>
> On the other hand, when I played one of JJ Milteau´s albums that has a
> slight elevator music touch to it, a friend who was visiting
> spontaneously commented: "Hey, great stuff!", and he has never played a
> harmonica, nor expressed any particular kind of interest in harmonica
> music.

> [...]

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com