RE: [Harp-L] Playing While Driving

	I have developed an absolute car studio. I play and drive all the
time. In fact, it has become a major way to practice new songs and vocals as
well. Going to and from gigs, going to rehearsal, going anywhere, and no
matter how short or long the trip. I am equipped with two full sets of harps
one minor and one traditionally tuned with a full compliment of low and high
harps. A five watt Vox amp with the power supplied by an adaptor. A SM58 and
a great Hohner Blues Blaster that Steve Warner made the Atomic Blaster some
years back after the element died by leaving it the car when it was much too
cold (obviously elements can die after being in cars that are too hot, as
well). I'm shifting gears, driving certainly with only one hand on the
wheel. But, I'm constantly watching for the police because I'm under the
belief that it must be illegal because I recently got stopped for being on
my mobile phone by the police. They said that operating a vehicle without
both hands on the wheel was illegal and telephoning a distraction causing
lack of concentration. I mentioned that people smoke while driving, eat
while driving, that the police themselves communicate with a hand held
mobile device, and occasionally someone is driving with their right hand
under the passengers skirt or on their passenger's very private area. They
had a good chuckle as that extracted my money from me. It was in the evening
so they saw the illumination of the phone dial and swooped in on me. The one
policeman ran a flash light over the interior of my car. He questioned what
was in the holster like case which was barely visible under the jacket that
I had tried to cover everything on my front seat. I was hoping they would
not see the mics, harps, CD's, or adaptor wire leading to the amp
semi-camouflaged on the back seat. I had turned the engine off so the amp
would not be illuminated. I said harmonicas and he questioned no further. It
cost me 74 Euro for the telephone violation, but no points off my license.
	Obviously, I live in Europe. Is it illegal to drive and play where
you live? My wife flips out in the summer when I am in the States traveling
and playing and I do it there. She thinks it is illegal everywhere, but I
haven't gotten caught, yet, (Here comes the proverbial statement..."Knock on
wood!) so I don't know the consequences.

RT