Re: [Harp-L] Playing While Driving

On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Richard Eisenberg wrote:

Does anyone else practice in the car while driving/commuting?

I used to. There was a big push in Pennsylvania many years ago to arrest people for this. I put the kabosh to it under the premise that:

1..... Unlike a phone, there was no one on the other end of a harp getting you riled up and agitated enough to hamper your driving and consequently make you crash.
2..... Unlike a sandwich, there wasn't anything dripping on your shirt/dress to cause you to look down..and consequently run off the road & crash.
3..... Unlike coffee, there was nothing to spill on your crotch and consequently cause you to crash.
4..... Unlike a map (or directions), there was nothing to read and take your attention away from your driving and consequently causing you to crash.
5..... Unlike a CB radio mike, there was no one to argue with consequently distracting you and making you crash.

I had a total of 38 scenarios in my report. Conclusion was that since most people don't drive with 2 hands anyway, playing harp was inert. Chromo is a wee bit different. But then, you can play those with one hand too. (p.s. NO cupping allowed...on either harp...NO chord harps...NO bass harps...NO harmonettas.). Blah blah blah.

I live in a fairly rural area and drive 25 minutes to work. I play songs on
the car stereo via mp3 player and play along to practice.
(I don't do this in heavy traffic, blizzards, or where I'm not familiar with
the roads.)

Right.

I've only ever seen one other person playing harp while driving.

I have seen several. But then that was my job at the time. To watch people. My favorite was the woman who had a large mirror propped on her steering wheel and she was applying her make-up. (p.s. she needed it lolol). I have seen people change CLOTHES at the wheel. It's a wierd wierd world out there.

smo-joe