Subject: [Harp-L] RE: What makes a "good" player?

umm, Bob...by placing my 'I couldn't agree more' at the very beginning of
my response post to John, I believed I was making it clear I wasn't
agreeing solely with his singular definition of what is good, but his  ENTIRE POST.
So your cutting and pasting to fit your conclusion (and yes that  does
indeed make it 'quoting out of context') in order to make it much more  narrow a
'definition' alters my intent, and John's as well.   (Misunderstanding is
perfectly fine, forgiveness not necessary, but then  running with the
misunderstanding to draw an entirely erroneous conclusion does  need to be
addressed, n'est-ce-pas?)

In your mention of your granddaughter's skills, you somehow fail to
mention the rest of my 'definition' of good: 'plays cleanly, makes pleasant  music
others are happy to listen to'....by that definition quite naturally she
would not fit by 'honking on her harmonica'.

For MY part (and from what I concluded from John's post as well) --
Frank's definition of 'good' (bringing in 'expertise') was far too broad.  Is
that clear enough? Is one good only if one has 'expertise'? Sorry,  doesn't
wash for me. Expertise makes one an expert, not merely 'good', which is  the
point I believe we were both making.

Elizabeth

"Message: 4
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:20:42 -0500
From: Robert Coble  <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

So as to not be  accused of quoting out of context, two entire quotes are
below what I write. If  I've misunderstood something, please forgive me.
I certainly agree with  Elizabeth's caveat:
"> It's all in one's interpretation of what good  is."
But isn't that ALWAYS true, no matter what is being defined?
John's  ending definition of a "good player" is:
> What makes a good player? Is  the person having fun? That to me makes a
good player.........Johnny
To which  definition, Elizabeth "couldn't agree more."
Have exercised caution to this  point, I now throw caution to the winds and
respectfully disagree with this  "definition." By it, my 19-month old
granddaughter is a "good player"-she  certainly does have fun honking on a
harmonica! She al;so figured out (on her  own) that there are blow AND draw notes.
However, I suspect even John and  Elizabeth would agree that she is NOT a
"good player" by definition, even though  she does meet the stringent
requirement given. (At the least, as a proud  grandfather, I have no expectations
that she will be amazing SPAH audiences  until after she turns 2 years old!)
"Everyone is entitled to their own  opinion, but not their own
facts."Daniel Patrick Moynihan
There must be some  set of criteria (other than SOLELY personal opinion) by
which one can determine  and attribute "good" (which admittedly has several
shades of subjectivity  attached) to a particular player's attempts to play
harmonica. Perhaps this is  what triggered Maestro Bonfiglio's response
recently.
So, other than simply  "having fun", what is an acceptable set of criteria
for defining "good" (as in a  "good player")? Would a dictionary definition
of "good" have any merit  whatsoever? (Nah, not in today's "PC" world;
that's why I drive an  iMac.)
Regards,Crazy (but not insane; look up the definitions in Webster's)  Bob
----
Elizabeth  (in response to John [below]):>  > Couldn't agree more. A 'good'
 player is one who plays because the music
> is inside and needs to get  out, plays cleanly, makes pleasant music
people
> are happy to listen to  and want to hear more of...he/she doesn't have to
have
>  expertise.
>
> Perhaps his description is more applicable to a 'pro'  or 'expert' player?
>
> It's all in one's interpretation of what  good is. I'd be quite happy to
> simply be considered good. I'm not  looking to be either a pro or an
expert.

> Thanks for your down to  earth post (still catching up after GSHC)... :)
>
>  Elizabeth

John:>