Subject: [Harp-L] What makes a good player?

Couldn't agree more.  A 'good' player is one who plays because the  music
is inside and needs to get out, plays cleanly, makes pleasant music people
are happy to listen to and want to hear more of...he/she doesn't have to have
 expertise.

Perhaps his description is more applicable to a 'pro' or 'expert'  player?

It's all in one's interpretation of what good is. I'd be quite happy to
simply be considered good.  I'm not looking to be either a pro or an  expert.

Thanks for your down to earth post (still catching up after GSHC)...   :)

Elizabeth

"Message: 3
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:56:18 -0500
From: John Hegedus  <johnhegedus@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

My friend Frank Franz says... Having a  PROFOUNDLY solid EFFORTLESS
unadulterated EXPERTISE- in musical  FUNDAMENTALS makes a good player.
I disagree. I know harp players who  have none of that and, in my
opinion, and to many of my peers, sound  fabulous. Sometimes I read all
the harp-l e-mails and I think, what  the hell are they talking about?
Double overblows, triple tongue  blocking ect. ect.  Some of the folks
on this page get way to  wrapped up in this kind of stuff. Just get out
there and have some fun  with this little 10 holed jem. For the new
players who read the harp-l  pages, I suggest you listen to your
favorite players and practice  there licks and before you realize it,
you will be coming up with  licks of your own. What makes a good
player? Is the person having fun?  That to me makes a good
player.........Johnny