From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The beatings will continue when your ear drives your technique
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:42:01 -0800 (PST)

Tune your octave so they don't beat. Then, if you want to, you can push the octaves out of tune as a special effect with breath pressure. But they'll be in tune as a default.

Bill Clarke may have originally come up with this from playing out-of-tune harps, but he ended up cultivating it as a technique. Now you can hear Jason Ricci and other players (Dennis Gruenling? not sure about him) doing it on purpose as an expressive effect. And you know that Neither jason nor Dennis plays out-of-tune harps if they can possibly avoid it.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa