[Harp-L] Garden State Harmonica Festival - a brief redux

Having attended, over the years, many different events in similar settings (conventions, conclaves, seminars and the like) within and outside of the music industry, I have to to take my hat off to Val for how her work and obviously tireless efforts paid off...in a remarkably wonderful way! BIG standing ovation!!

For me, as I was sadly only able to attend on Saturday (business had me on a week-long jaunt elsewhere)...the wonderful moments started as I pulled up, bumping into Rob Paparozzi and Steve Guyger outside schmoozing. How wonderfully gracious and warm Mr. Paparozzi was in person, a real delight. Steve as well, I had the great pleasure of sharing the table with him during the banquet. His open conversation with me about all things harp was refereshing and funny as hell. And George W. Miklas...I wish I had more time to hang out with you all that night: I had to hit the road around 11:00 p.m. Another time and place George...drinks for the band are on me.

Speaking of the table were I sat (Kudos to Val for accomodating late comer's like me, she had the hotel staff stand to and get another table ready for us "johnny come lately's"), I had the pleasure of meeting Seth Feldman, the only surviving original member of the Harmonica Rascals. Holy cow what stories he had to share! So many stories from so many people. I am again convinced that if Chicago is considered the spiritual home to the diatonic blues harp player, the NYC area must be considered the (or at least one of the) spiritual homes to the chromatic jazz player. So much talent on display in one place. I was enraptured and humbled.

Often times the truth of how people feel can be determined while overhearing their conversations. I heard not a nary of negativity while at the banquet. and I made it a point to stand everywhere I could to take pics. Quite the contrary, people where effusive in the positive things they had to say about how well it was run, how much there was happening and how wonderfully it all turned out.

Excellent Job Val, wonderful job! Thank you for inviting me and thank you for introducing me to so many in our fabulous harp family!

Jeff Silverman, Publisher Email: jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Webpage: http://www.harmonica411.com

myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/harmonica411
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/harmonica411
and on facebook:  simply type harmonica 411 into the search field