Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Garden State Harmonica Festival Sucked/ NO WAY!

Elizabeth !!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS A JOKE. I GOT IT RIGHT AWAY.. Loosen up babe. Warren was just funnin. :) lmao!!!!! jeezzzzzzzzzzz.......................
 buzz.
 Hey Warren YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!

EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
Warren:
I truly don't get it. I'm running on empty after getting home from GSHC with practically no sleep for 4 days (I got there Wed. night), even though, like you it's the only Festival reasonably close to my home.. missing many Harp-l digests since my mailbox was overflowing, but honestly...this post of yours left even ME dumbfounded and I certainly do usually 'get' your sense of humour!
I wait to read the older posts before catching up with the newer, since I prefer them in order...but couldn't wait to see what people had to say about this absolutely INCREDIBLE Festival Val Redler and Phil Caltabellotta managed to turn GSHC into this year (with the help of a few elves - one of whom was you). The reviews you gave of the performances were (for the most part) right on - except you missed out on some GREAT beat-box playing by LD and Zach Gaviria - but that's ok~ I videotaped them in the Lobby. InCREDIBLE stuff...We were only missing Brendan (from their SPAH performance of it), but Zach and LD traded off the parts which was especially fun and intriguing to my ears :)
But....somehow, IF this previous post was supposed to be written 'tongue-in-cheek', I'm afraid it fell far short of its aim. Just to be sure I wasn't being too critical, I had the other member of my household give it a read - with no preparation. 'Just read Warren's reviews of the Fest' - and he's been a friend of yours for a long time now.
He was as horrified by that particular post as were (so far) the half dozen people who've been emailing me asking what it was about: 'did the fest really suck?' 'what's up with Warren?', etc. Frankly, Mr. Bee - I'm hard-pressed to explain it. You never make typos, you always sign your posts with your title of Entertainment director - this post varied quite a bit. So I'm asking now. What gives?
Understanding that a good 60% of the attendees were folks who don't have an appreciation for sarcasm or 'NY humour', I believe you need to explain just what you meant, and for Pete's sake remove that title before you scare away people who think it wasn't the absolutely brilliant Festival it turned out to be!
For MY part, although I'm not yet ready to write an in-depth review of the amazing performances and great people in attendance: some I already knew and reconnected with, some new friends I've made at this Fest, I can state unequivocally that this 2009 GARDEN STATE HARMONICA FESTIVAL has so far been one of THE top two Festivals I've attended since I began going to Buckeye and then SPAH in 2005. This is my 10th Harmonica Convention and it's a tie in first place with only one SPAH I've been to. That's how good it became. C'mon....Saturday night - Will Galison jamming on stage, then with Hendrick Meurkens and Enrico Granafei? Whoooo!...there were other such amazing moments....I'll talk about those later (unless they're already covered). One thing people should know: SPAH is huge - I don't dislike that aspect of it but some do.

By contrast, GSHC is very personal, very warm. The biggest stars with no egos sitting side by side with the likes of me. There is no 'policing' of videos and photos, ergo no wasting of people's energies towards what is actually an ineffective pursuit.
Actually, SPAH could learn from the indefatigable Val Redler. She was going non-stop dawn to dusk -and far beyond. Besides the work involved leading up TO the Festival, but now during....Not only supporting Phil in his performances, but working with the manager of the venue to ensure as best she could the smooth behind-the-scenes running of the various performances; ....the myriad horrible little details one can't foresee inevitably going wrong. She handled it all with equanimity. I'm proud to call her my friend, and to have been involved in even a tiny way with GSHC. Bottom line, Warren...you need to explain that post.
Elizabeth
"Message: 4