[Harp-L] Garden State Harmonica Festival Experience

Hey everyone,

I spent from 3:pm to 3:am on Friday at the harmonica  gathering. I was
sorry to miss Rob P's and Dennis G's seminars earlier in that day.  This was
the first time I attended anything like this for harmonica, and I must  say I
really dug it. Wish I could have been there more, but had some  commitments.

First of all I met a bunch of great people. Not just good harp players, but
 nice, friendly  people. Loved talking  with Al and Judy Smith,  Bob
McFarlane, Danny G, Elizabeth, Manhattan Walter, and Smo-Joe, along with  everyone
else.  Had a lot of laughs talking with Smo-Joe. He is a wealth of
knowledge. I wish I had picked his brain a bit more.

I enjoyed all the shows, especially Dennis Gruenling's  set.  Daddy T ( on
Chromo) and the 17 North band tore the  place up.

I loved sitting around in a circle of harp players and jamming  to the
guitar player's 12 bar patterns and various rhythms. Thanks to  Octavia and to
the other guitar player who's name I did not catch. They did a  fine job
laying it down for all of us.

I also bought some Seydel's Soloist Pro harps from Danny G. Nice  harps,
and I can't wait to dive into them. I usually like Marine Bands, but  these
Seydel babies are pretty tight and right. Love the maple comb.

But the best aspect of this festival was the next generation of musicians
that were present. Jay Gaunt, LD Miller, Zack Gavira, and another dude
who's name I did not catch. All of them are hungry for the harp and love
playing. And all of them seem to be happy, fun loving  well  adjusted individuals.
Yet very serious about their  music. The  future is bright with these young
people, no doubt  in my mind. Jason R  better watch his back with Jay
coming up.

Then there was Josh (oh my gosh) King  (that's  what Smo-Joe  calls him).
He put smiles on everyone's face when he played, and I mean PLAYED.  Great
kid, gifted and hard working. He could not get enough of the festival, and  he
seem to soak up every minute at the age of nine.

This makes me want to go to Spah next year in a big way.

Best to everyone,

Chris Mastakas