[Harp-L] RE: Just Have Fun With It

Phil said:  Harmonica players need to learn to read music, sight read music,
understand music because it's the short cut.

When I was about five my uncle (a former professional musician) sat me down
and taught me how to three chord a guitar.  He taught me to feel for the
rhythm and listen for the changes.  Soon, I could "second" (play rhythm
guitar) to most of the country music going around.  Since that time, I have
never had a guitar far from me and have spent uncounted peaceful hours
playing for myself and occasionally for family and friends.  A few years ago
when my hands started going arthritic, I approached the harmonica in the
same way.

My mother spent too much money she didn't have sending me to piano lessons.
I hated theory and didn't understand why the uptight little piano teachers
didn't just play the blasted thing and be done with it.  There was none of
the joy that I knew with my uncle nor the sense of freedom and expression.
While I have fooled around with keyboard a bit over the years, there is no
love there.  As a matter of fact, one of my sister-in-laws has had my
keyboard for four or five years and I hadn't even thought about it until I
began this post.

My uncle taught me to love the guitar and express myself through it. While I
don't play well, what I do play comes as easy as breathing.  My uncle
couldn't read a note of music and I can't read much.  But, it didn't prevent
him from having a heck of a time on the local barn dance and beer joint
circuit for several years and it doesn't prevent me from enjoying myself to
this day.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK