[Harp-L] mel lyman and country harp

Wow!  Thanks Jimmy for sending the link to the Kweskin's "America"
recording.  I've never heard that stuff before and it is so beautiful. Mel's
weird shaky vibrato make him sound do vulnerable, unveiled. Check out Old
Black Joe where a bassist or cellist is bowing a harmony part against the
harp's melody - its otherworldly. Does anyone know if there's a recording of
the "Rock of Ages" performance referenced in the following wiki quote?

"Lyman, a skilled harmonica player, is remembered in folk music circles for
playing a 30 minute improvisation on the traditional hymn "Rock of
Ages<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_of_Ages_(Christian_hymn)>"
at the end of the 1965 Newport Folk Festival to the riled crowd streaming
out after Bob Dylan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan>'s famous
appearance with an electric band. Some felt that Lyman, an acoustic music
purist, was delivering a wordless counterargument to Dylan's new-found rock
direction."

As for backing up singers and playing in a folk and country context I still
think you can't beat the 1973 album by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band called
"Will the Circle be Unbroken" -the bands drummer Jimmy Fadden is a superb
harp player who knows how to support a singer, blend with fiddle and blow
hot solos.  BTW, there's also a wonderful version of Dark as a Dungeon on
that recording.

~Trip
www.myspace.com/thewhistlinwolves

Message: 7