[Harp-L] Reading Music, Different Key Harps (was "Re: A couple questions from a beginner")

Okay, here is a question that I have been trying to articulate ever since I got harps in keys other than C. I will try again.

When you read a note of printed music, it corresponds to a particular pitch (ignoring different tempered tunings for the moment), and a particular key on the piano keyboard. When I play the piano in the key of C, or in the key of G, a G is a G, and an F# is an F#, etc. When I play the piano in the key of A, a printed G still corresponds to the "G" key on the piano keyboard. One emphasizes a different subset of all the notes when playing pieces on the piano in different keys, but there is always a one-to-one correspondence between the printed note and the key on the keyboard.

On a C harmonica, a printed G is 2-draw (or 3-blow, 6-blow, or 9-blow, depending on the octave). On a G harp, a printed G is 1-blow (or 4-blow, etc., depending on the octave). On an B-flat harp, a printed G is 3-draw-double-bend. So depending on what key harp I'm using, printed notes are in entirely different locations on the harp. They move all over the place! How does anybody do these translations at speed!?!

So what I want to know is, what is the "correct" way to think about reading printed music when playing a harps in various keys?

At first blush, changing keys is easy! If I learn a song on one harp, but want to change it to a higher or lower key to better fit my vocal range (or someone else's, or the key called out at a jam), I just switch harps but play the same chambers! But that works only *after* I've learned the song on a particular harp.

Tab works for me, except that it has no way to convey rhythm, which is a huge drawback.

I can do I-IV-V in 2nd position and in 3rd. On any harp I've got. I have a clue about other positions, though I'm not in the least facile with them (yet). But correlating printed notes to the harp-in-hand just seems insurmountable.

So, how do all you professionals think about this? What's going on in your brain when you read music in one key and play it on different-key harps? And are you still thinking about letter-names of notes and sharps and flats when you play in different positions on a harp? Inquiring minds want to know!

Elizabeth