Re: [Harp-L] A couple questions from a beginner

 never too early to go one on one with a competent teacher....

-----Original Message-----
From: Nate Finch <nate.finch@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, Nov 17, 2009 4:07 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] A couple questions from a beginner

Hi all,

I'm a month into learning the harp, still a consummate beginner, working on
getting clean 2 & 3 draw notes and making my note transitions smooth.  I've
been working mainly off Jon Gindick's book, Rock 'N Blues Harmonica, and a
couple other random harmonica books I got from the library, plus whatever
youtube brings up.  I try to practice every day for a half hour to an hour
(more when I can, which is not often).

Do you think I should be looking into one-on-one lessons at this point, or
keep plugging away until I really get the basics down?

Second question - how important is it to be able to sight-read music?  I can
read music enough to tell a 16th note b flat from a 1/4 note C, but can't
read it well enough or fast enough to play from it.  How much should I be
working on reading and playing from music?   I do want to learn to
sight-read music, but it seems like it's less important for harmonica
players than most musicians, or am I just rationalizing?

Thanks!

-Nate