Re: Subject: [Harp-L] who's repairing chromatics these days?

Elizabeth's suggestions are good ones.

The sad fact is that chromatics are complex and need a lot of maintenance. You can handle that two ways:

1. Pay to have it done.
This will require lots of money, a relationship with a technician and three harps of each type. One harp is to play, one on the shelf in reserve and one in transit or at the technician's for work. It is a little like cooking and washing dishes, you can pay for the service but it's expensive and inconvenient.

2. Do it yourself. Fortunately, the most frequently required operations are pretty easy.

I think of harp maintenance in terms of four levels of skill.

Level 1. Basic.  Every player should learn to:
- Dis/re-assemble the harp.
- Clean the slide assembly.
- Adjust the mouthpiece screws.
- Clear obstructions from the reeds.
- Replace valves.
- Diagnose harp problems.

Level 2. Intermediate, If you are at all handy with hand tools, you can learn to:
- Tune and gap.
- Adjust angular reed alignment.
- Adjust slide spring tension.

Level 3. Expert If you can do these you can repair almost any harp.
- Own a drill press.
- Install threaded metal inserts in combs.
- Replace reeds.
- Repair broken wooden combs.

Level 4. Customizer
- Use a milling machine, maybe CNC.
- Make chromatic harp parts from "scratch".

Vern

----- Original Message ----- From: <EGS1217@xxxxxxx>