Re: [Harp-L] Stones' 'Waiting on a Friend'

On Nov 16, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Ken Hildebrand wrote:

I tried the song on a Low-F country-tuned harmonica, like Brad suggested and it worked great.

I got the Low-F country-tuned harp, by taking a Lee Oskar Low-F major (richter-tuned) and a Lee Oskar C Melody Maker and swapped one of the reed-plates, giving you a Low F country-tuned (top of the major, bottom plate of the MM) and a Low F paddy-richter tuned (top of the MM, bottom of the major).

Well technically its not a "true" country-tuned because the 9 draw is also raised a 1/2 step (5 draw is also raised a 1/2 step). I beleive this is better known as the Smo-Joe country-tuning.

Ken H in OH

Ha ha ha, I don't know if it's 'better known as' but I have been using that tuning since 1959. There was a good reason for it. I am not as advanced as most of you guys/gals, or at least I wasn't back then. After all, I was just a kid of 17. I never liked the Richter layout and while it's fine for blues (with the blue #5 draw), It didn't lend itself to ballads nor Doo-Wop. Several people I know have claimed that the 50s were the low point in music in the U.S., but I didn't see it that way. I liked to play along with the Fleetwoods, Flamingoes, Shep & the Limelights, Johnny Maestro & Brooklynn Bridge, Drifters, and yada yada yada.

Changing the reed #5 made a difference in doing 19 out of 100 tunes in an acceptable fashion to a whopping 67 out of 100. THEN, I noticed that it made a number of country/western tunes possible even WITHOUT using a second harp for the bridge. Then, since I like to use all 10 holes, I realized that the #9 needed adjusting too. I'm not German, so Richter doesn't fit me, and I'm not Irish, so Paddy doesn't fit me either. I am Italian & Polish, so I don't know WHAT (the hell) I'm doing? lolol

I have NO idea of what positions are. I know that I sometimes pick up a harp that is waaaay different from what the tune requires? And sometimes I make it work, but couldn't tell you what I'm doing. I think this comes from the fact that I am mainly a chromo player and work with all chromos in all keys. So maybe it's osmosis? lolol

smokey-joe