From: jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Nov 11, 2009 8:35 am
Subject: [Harp-L] what is creativity?

There was a discussion earlier about talent, work ethic, and apptitude.
There are tons of talented musicians who are capable of creative thought,
but in a limited way.. They interpret a classical piece for example, but
it's not a radical remaking of the piece. There are also people like myself
who can come up with a hundred original ideas before breakfast, and they all
suck.

Then there's folks the Little Walter who exploited the defects in his
equipment--the distortion, etc, and came up with a new defining sound for
harmonica. Then you have someone like Hendrix who took that to extreme.
Where did he get the idea to treat his guitar like a synthesizer (before
synthesizers were even that well known)? Then you take someone like James
Brown who seemingly woke up one day, decided he'd put the accent on the down
beat instead of the 2 and the 4 and created a whole new style of music--he
essentially created modern top forty.

So to heck with effortless mastery. I want to be the James Brown of
harmonica. How do I do this?

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html