[Harp-L] In which Gus is . . . me!

I confess, my grandpa was named Gus, my bro's midle name is Gus, and I have "Gus'd!"

Two Tales of Gus-man:

Once (1982) watching Blind Joe Hill doing a single at Al's (dive) Bar in LA.  he was great! The PA was somewhat loud, and I was at the very back of the crowded room amongst a bunch of chatting drunks, so I pulled out my harp and started playing along - quietly, so I thought.

Blind Joe heard me   through the din!!  "Hey, someone playin' harp out there? Come on up!"   I s'pose he wanted to hold me accountable, fair 'nuff.  I came up,  we played one song, then  I went  to step down.  He asked me to continue! We played a few more (rollin & tumblin, etc.) - after each of which I offered to step down, of course!   He was generous,  I was lucky,   and it worked, despite my  feeble playing.

Thanks Blind Joe Hill!  You were a brave man!

And recently (October) on the Legendary R&B Cruise, I was in a bar with Susan Tedeschi, Ed Early and a few other great players at about 4 a.m., they were jammin' and I was groovin'.  Suddenly a usually tasteful  harp player - who should have been in bed - came and just picked up a mic and started playing with GUSto!  At a break I was approached to speak with this player, to ask him to be more, um, thoughtful.  I took him aside, and gently gave him some kindly feedback, he agreed and thanked me effusively, had another drink and soon resume gussing with reckless abandon.

now, I don't mind a litle gussin' if it's polite and tasteful - and not someone's paid gig!  But If they're rude or inappropriate, it's a gesture of respect to talk to 'em.  If they
sound bad, end the song!

Sometimes I try to take 'em outside and give 'em a lesson and maybe some polite
guidance, it has actually worked many times, but not always.

We are all responsible to protect and rehab the frail -
nay, tattered - reputation of blues harp players for sucking more than
the draw notes . . . and we have lots of work to do!

Dave "Gus Who" Fertig
Forwarded Message: RE: [Harp-L] In which Gus is Summarily Dispatched to Eternal Ignominy RE: [Harp-L] In which Gus is Summarily Dispatched to Eternal Ignominy
        	Monday, November 9, 2009 8:07 PM