[Harp-L] Gussing

My band hosts a Sunday blues jam at a club here in Denver.  We get all kinds
of harp players, from working pro players (some of whom are members of
Harp-L) to beginners who are so nervous you can see their hands shaking.
They are all individuals and have varying levels of humility, regardless of
skill.  The thing they all have in common is they all want stage time and
they all want to get better.  It gives you a different perspective on this
"Gus" thing when you host a blues jam.

As for harp players who insist on blowing from the audience during a
performance, I see it occasionally.  It has happened to me a few times, but
is seldom a problem.  My blues band is moderately loud, and I line out to a
PA with several thousand watts of power.  I usually can't hear the guy
playing at all, and I doubt anybody else can.  When it becomes annoying it
gets corrected by staff or other audience members.  On one occasion when the
guy was really good I invited him up on stage.

At the Greeley Festival last summer, I saw two people blowing during Charlie
Musselwhite's set.  Nobody seemed to care.  People at concerts often sing
along at the top of their voices, making more racket than a harp player
could ever hope to achieve.  What do you call those people?

You call them "paying fans."  Some people might call them Gus.

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/