[Harp-L] Mass "Gussing" or normal jamming?

I have attended some informal jams where one harp player will be playing and
suddenly there are several playing all at once.  I understand and appreciate
the beauty and rhythm of a couple of harp players playing against each
other, one doing melody and another rhythm or counterpoint, but darn, this
sounded to me like a bunch of cats in a bag trying to get out.  Pretty soon,
I couldn't separate out the notes and was confused myself.  Is this a normal
form of harp jamming?  These guys seem to enjoy it but I don't get it.  Is
there something wrong with my hearing (and I do admit that I have hearing
problems) that I can't make sense out of three or four other harps going at
once?

Bill Kumpe

Tulsa, OK